This Blueberry Layer Cake Recipe is what dreams are made of. White cake, with fresh blueberries and a blueberry cream cheese frosting.
- 2 ¾ cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 sticks salted butter (softened)
- 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese (softened)
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup fresh pureed blueberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all dry ingredients (minus sugar) into a small bowl and set aside. Combine the milk and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Slowly add in the sugar until fully combined and fluffy.
- Add in the egg whites one at a time, making sure to combine each before adding the other.
- Add in about ½ of the dry mixture while mixing on a low speed. Alternate adding in dry and wet ingredients until they are all combined. Mix for an additional 3 minutes on a medium speed.
- Combine the blueberries in a small bowl and add in lemon juice and coat with 1-2 tbsp of flour until coated well. Fold into the cake mixture.
- Prepare three 6″ cake pans with *cake goop (see notes) and distribute the batter evenly between them making sure no blueberries are clumped up together and evenly distributed through the batter.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
FOR THE FROSTING
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy and there are no lumps.
- Add in the pureed berries and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time while on a low speed.
- Mix at high speed for about 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer of cake on a cake board or plate and top with about 1 1/2 cup of buttercream and smooth out evenly. Add the next layer and continue with each layer of cake. Completely cover the outside of the cake with the remaining buttercream and smooth with a bench scrapper or spatula. Add fresh blueberries to the top of the cake and serve!
*Cake Goop is 1 cup of flour, vegetable oil, and vegetable shortening. Combine all the ingredients together in a mixer until smooth. Place about a quarter size amount in the cake pans and brush in with a pastry brush or a paper towel. Keep the remaining in an airtight container and keep it handy for the next time you make a cake!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35