These Chocolate Covered Cherries are a classic candy that's best made ahead of time. The longer they sit, the more liquid the center becomes.
- 36 Maraschino cherries (with or without stems)
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 18 ounces (1 1/2 bags) of milk chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
1. Place the butter and corn syrup in a bowl of a stand mixer (you can also use a hand mixer). Slowly add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time and mix until a dough forms.
2. Refrigerate dough for a few hours until it stiffens and is easy to work with.
3. Prepare your cherries by removing them from their juice and drying them on a paper towel.
4. Take a piece of wax paper and place it on a baking sheet. This is where you will place your cherries and allow them to harden.
5. Take about 1 tsp of dough and roll it out thin. Wrap the dough around each individual cherry.
6. Place back into the fridge for about 1 hour. This will make it easier to dip them in your chocolate.
7. Place your chocolate and coconut oil into a microwave safe bowl and melt for 30 second increments until completely melted.
8. Take each cherry and drop into your chocolate. This part is easier if you choose cherries with stems. If you do not want the stems, place your cherry in the chocolate and remove with a fork.
9. Allow the chocolate to harden. You can place them back in the refrigerator to speed up this process.
10. After your cherries are set, place them in a air tight container and store in a dry place. This is where the waiting begins. Let your cherries sit for 2-4 weeks. The longer they set, the more the inside will liquefy giving you that perfect chocolate covered cherry!