Is anyone else a sucker for Cinnabon cinnamon rolls… me too.. They recently opened a Cinnabon in our local mall and no matter how hard I try to talk myself out of it.. I gotta get me a roll. It’s sad really…
ANYWAY, to save myself a little cash, and just a general craving, I decided to whip up a recipe that are just as good as Cinnabon!! Ready to get to it????
For the dough:
- 3/4 cup warm milk (at roughly 110 degrees F)
- 1 package active yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 3 cups all purpose flour (you can also use bread flour)
- 1 tsp salt
For the filling:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
For the glaze:
- 4 o. cream cheese (softened)
- 4 tbsp butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add warm milk in a bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the active yeast over the milk and allow to activate. This will take about 3-5 minutes. Once the yeast starts foaming you know it is ready. If it doesn’t foam, start over.
- Once the yeast starts to foam, add in sugar, egg, and butter. Mix well until combined. Next stir in flour and salt. Combine until a dough starts to form.
- Place dough hook on your mixer (or you can knead with your hands) and mix on a low speed (setting 4 on a kitchen aid) for about 8 minutes. You dough should be well combined and slightly sticky.
- Place the dough in a well oiled bowl and cover with a towl, and allow to rise for 1-1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size. I like to place mine on my oven and turn the overhead light on to give some warmth.
- After the dough has risen, place it on a lightly floured surface and roll out to roughly a 9×13 rectangle.
- Spread your butter over the dough and then add on the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Be VERY generous during this part. Really you can add as little or as much as you would like 🙂
- Start from the longest end, and roll the dough as tightly as possible. Make sure the end of the dough is underneath so it will now come unrolled. (see photo above)
- Cut into roughly 1-1 1/2 inch slices and place in a greased baking dish. Place back under a towel and let rise for another 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes. You want them to be just golden brown. Be careful not to over bake or you will not have that yummy gooey center.
- While they are baking, prepare your glaze by creaming together the cream cheese and butter. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until you have a nice thin glaze.
- After the cinnamon rolls come out of the oven, top with the glaze and serve immediately.
Did you try this recipe??? Let me know your thoughts below!!