This Orange Dreamsicle cake is what dreams are made of. Simple white cake recipe infused with orange flavor and a fluffy orange cream filling to die for! This is the perfect recipe for a summer get together or just a yummy family dessert!
I have had this on my list to create for long time and I am so happy how it turned out! The secret to this cake is the filling! I could eat the filling with a spoon, it tastes just like a dreamsicle!
This recipe starts with a white cake base, start by adding all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and give a quick whisk.
Next add all the wet ingredients into a second bowl and mix well.
Next add the butter into the dry ingredients and mix well until you get a crumby texture.
Then slowly add in the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Be careful not to over mix! This cake bakes up so nicely and should be flat on top, no need for a cake level!! yay!
After a toothpick comes out of each cake clean, remove from the oven a let the cakes chill in the pan for about 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. While the cakes are cooling make the filling and frosting. Be careful, it is hard not to eat it all!
Assemble the cake by placing one layer of cake on a cake stand and topping with the orange cream filling. Continue with each later. Cover the entire cake in the orange frosting and top with orange slices!
If you tried this recipe comment below and let me know how it turned out for you!!
- 3 3/4 cups cake flour
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 sticks (1 cuplus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 4 tablespoons thawed frozen orange juice concentrate
- 3/4 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons plus 1/4 teaspoon orange etract
- zest of 2 medium oranges ((about 4 tablespoons))
- Orange coloring gel
Orange Cream Filling:
- 1 large box instant Vanilla pudding (5.9 oz.)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Orange Extract
- Orange gel type food coloring
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cuproom temperature)
- 2 (8 ounceblocks cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cool whip
- 1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 2.) Grease and flour three 8 x 2 inch round pans.
- 3.) In a large mixing bowl add first 4 ingredients, set aside
- 4.) In a separate bowl, add the eggs, orange juice concentrate, milk, orange extract and zest. Mix on low speed until yolks are broken and blended. Set aside.
- 5.) Add half the butter to the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for a minute. Add the rest of butter and mix on medium speed until the ingredients look crumbly and slightly moistened. With a spatula scrape the sides and bottom of bowl.
- 6.) Add half the egg mixture and blend on low speed.
- 7.) Increase speed to medium and add the remaining egg mixture and blend until creamy and smooth.
- 7.) Divide batter into three 8″ prepared cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
- 9.) Let the cakes cool in pan 10 minutes the then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- 1.) Combine the pudding mix , heavy cream and orange extract in a medium mixing bowl.
- 2.) On low speed mix until well combined. Beat pudding mixture for two minutes.
- 3.) Add one drop of orange colored, soft gel food coloring and blend.
- 3.) Refrigerate until ready to use.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1.) In mixing bowl, beat butter until soft and smooth.
- 2.) Cut cream cheese into pieces and add to butter. Beat on medium until well blended.
- 3.) Add the vanilla and orange extract and blend.
- 4.) Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until well blended. Increase speed and beat until fluffy.
- 5.) Add cool whip to bowl and mix until blended.
- 6.) Frost sides of cake in swirls, starting at bottom of cake and working up, making a rim about 1/4 inch high above top of cake. Swirl the remaining icing on top of cake.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Check out some of my other top recipes below!!!