These are my all time favorite cupcakes. A perfect mix of citrus and sweet!
For the cupcakes
- 6 tbsp butter (salted or unsalted)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt (if you use salted butter you can omit this part)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp tequila
- 2 tbsp milk
For the frosting
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp tequila
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 4 tsp grenadine
- 12 cherries (optional (for topping))
- 12 orange slices (optional (for topping))
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a cupcake.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together about 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
3. Add sour cream, vanilla, and orange zest and mix until combined.
4. Add egg whites in two batches, mixing well to combine each time. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl often.
5. Combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then combine the remaining wet ingredients in a small measuring cup. (tequila, orange juice, and milk).
6. Add half of the dry ingredients into your mixing bowl and mix until combined. Add in all of the liquid mixture. Then add in remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
7. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and mix an additional 1-2 minutes on high speed.
8. Fill the cupcake liners about half way and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
For the frosting:
1. Fit a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
2. Beat the butter and shortening together until combined and smooth.
3. Add 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until combined.
4. Add in the tequila, and mix until combined.
5. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups of sugar and mix until smooth and fluffy,
6. divide your frosting in half. Adding the orange zest and juice to one batch, and the grenadine to the other.
7. Add each frosting to an individual small pipping bag. Then add those pipping bags into a larger pipping bag fitted with a star tip.
8. Pipe swirls of the frosting on each cupcake and top with a cherry and orange!
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American