About a year ago, I was diagnosed gluten intolerant. I was crushed.. I LOVE sweets, as most of you know, so I thought I would have to give them up for good. Or, expect to eat less than desirable desserts, that had a bad taste because of the gluten free flour. However, this is by far the BEST gluten free chocolate cake I have tried. It is moist, delicious, and chocolatey and I don't have to pay for it later!
I am also a baker, and I wanted to be able to give my gluten free customers an option! Because I know how much it sucks not being able to eat cake!!! Next on my list is a sugar free version! That will be a challenge.
That's enough gab, lets get to the Best gluten free chocolate cake details!!Print
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups (334 ml) All-purpose gluten free flour
- 12 tbsp (180 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (235 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- 3/4 cup (177 ml) sour cream
- 1/2 cup ( 120 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (177 ml) boiling water
For the buttercream
- 2 sticks butter (softened)
- 4 cups (1 L) confectioners sugar
- 1-2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder (optional for a chocolate buttercream)
- Preheat your over to 350 degrees
Prepare either 1- 9 inch or 2-6 inch pans with vegetable shortening
Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl. Sift together.
Add in the eggs, sour cream, and vegetable oil and mix until combined.
Once combined, add in the boiling water and mix on high for 1-2 minutes.
Distribute evenly in baking pans and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake.
While the cakes are cooling, prepare your buttercreamFor topping:
Put the room temperature butter into a stand mixer and mix on high for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
Reduce speed, and add in the confectioners sugar one cup at a time making sure to combine each cup.
Add in the vanilla extract and whipping cream and whip on high for about 3-4 minutes.
When the cakes are cool, top with he buttercream and decorate with your choice of berries or pecans!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Now go enjoy your cake without guilt!!!!