This toasted coconut cake is so easy and delicious it is sure to be a hit!
- 2 3/4 cup flour (all purpose )
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 2 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
For the buttercream
- 3 Sticks butter (room temperature )
- 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 1–1 1/2 cups toasted coconut
- Preheat your oven and prepare 3 6″ cake pans with goop recipe (see notes)
- Combine all dry ingredients except sugar into a medium mixing bowl and set aside for now. Combine milk into a small container with coconut extract and set aside.
- Add butter into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Cream until there are no lumps and it is nice and fluffy. Slowly add in the sugar. Mix until combined,
- Add in the egg whites one at a time, making sure that each one is combined before adding the next.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk mixture starting with dry ingredients. Add about half of the dry ingredients and then half of the milk mixture and continue. Mix just until combined being careful not to over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the three prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely. Once they are cool level each layer with a cake leveler or large serrated knife.
For the buttercream
- Cream together the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Cream for 4-5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add in confectioners sugar one cup at a time while the mixer is on slow speed.
- Add in the extract and heavy cream next. Mix on high speed for 4-5 minutes. This will give you more of a “whipped” frosting.
For the toasted coconut
- Add 1-1/2 cups if sweetened coconut flakes into a large baking pan. Heat the pan on medium heat and turn every few minutes to make sure the coconut does not burn on one side. Once the coconut is nice and golden brown you can remove from the pan.
- Place level cake onto a board or a cake stand. Top with about 1 cup of coconut buttercream and level. Add next cake layer and continue. Add a thin layer of buttercream on the outside of the cake and allow to set in the fridge for 20-30 minutes or until the buttercream is set. Apply another thicker layer of buttercream around the cake and smooth. Add toasted coconut to the sides.
Serve and enjoy!
- You’ll need 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of vegetable oil, and 1 cup of vegetable shortening.
- Combine all the ingredients together and place about a quarter size amount in your cake pans and brush in with a pastry brush or you can even use a paper towel.
- Keep the remaining goop in a airtight container and just keep it handy for the next time you make a cake!
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American