Salted Caramel Cupcakes! ...and I wonder why it is so hard for me to lose weight! It's because I make delicious things like this all the time! I don't know if becoming a baker was the best choice for my waistline!
These caramel cupcakes are simply AMAZING!!! I couldn't stop eating them! They are definitely on the top of my favorites list! Not only are these Salted Caramel Cupcakes they amazing, but they are really EASY to make as well!
The batter should be pretty thick at this point.
Now that you have your batter, fill up your liner! About halfway full 🙂
Now for the best part!!! The caramel!
Place the sugar in a saucepan and heat on medium-high heat until completely melted. The sugar will clump up (photo below) and look like it will not melt, but keep stirring. 🙂
After the sugar has completely melted and there is no clumps, add the butter. It will sizzle a bit, and that is fine! After the butter has melted completely, immediately add in your cream and stir until everything is combined. If you wish, add in salt at this point as well.
Now you have your yummy salted caramel sauce! This makes about 3/4 cup.
Let your caramel sit out and harden a little while you make your buttercream... oh man... this is probably the best buttercream I have ever made!!!
Add your butter into your stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
Mix on high until the butter is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes or so.
Add the vanilla, then on low speed add the powdered sugar. Be sure to slow down the speed, or there will be powdered sugar everywhere.. I know.. I've done it MULTIPLE times..
Mix well until light and fluffy, then add in your room temperature caramel! Mix until combined.
I found that it was best to freeze the buttercream for about 5 minutes and it was the perfect consistency!!
Finally, frost your cupcakes and top with extra caramel sauce!!! Try not to eat them all in one sitting!
Comment below and let me know how they turned out for you!!!Print
Salted caramel paired with salt and a sweet frosting makes for a delicious combination! Moist cupcakes make this irresistible!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (you can use salted, just omit the salt above)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/8 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1 cup unsalted butter - softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce (room temp)
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with a paddle.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and set aside.
- Turn on mixer, and slowly add little chunks of butter in at a time. Continue to mix until there are no chunks left and the mixture becomes crumbly.
- On low speed, add about 1/3 of the wet ingredients to the bowl. Mix until a paste forms.
- Add 1/2 of the remaining wet ingredients and beat on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Add remaining wet ingredients and mix for 5 minutes.
- Place the sugar in a saucepan and heat on medium-high heat until completely melted. The sugar will clump up (photo below) and look like it will not melt, but keep stirring. 🙂
- Mix on high until the butter is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes or so.
- Add the vanilla, then on low speed add the powdered sugar. Be sure to slow down the speed, or there will be powdered sugar everywhere.. I know.. I've done it MULTIPLE times..
- Mix well until light and fluffy, then add in your room temperature caramel! Mix until combined.
Be sure to try these other cupcake recipes: