This homemade black forest cake recipe is so moist and delicious you won’t be able to put the fork down! I pair my amazing chocolate cake with delicious cherries, and a little kick to make the perfect black forest cake that will impress at your next event!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 stick of softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- roughly 20 cherries (pitted)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cherry vodka or similar liquor.
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the cherries by combining the liquor, sugar, and cherries into a small sauce pan and heat until boiling. Let simmer for about 10 minutes and then remove from heat. Let the cherries cool before adding to the cake.
- Combine all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix with a whisk to break up any lumps.
- Add in all wet ingredients except the hot water and mix well until combined.
- Add in the hot water slowly and mix in. The batter will look a little runny.
- Prepare 2 8” cake pans with *cake goop or nonstick spray and distribute the batter evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 10-15 minutes in the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix for about 5 minutes to make sure there are no lumps remaining. Add in vanilla.
- Mix in the powdered sugar one cup at a time and combine after each addition.
- After all ingredients are incorporated, mix for another 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
Assemble the Cake:
- Place one layer of cake on a cake board or plate. Place 1-2 tbsp of syrup on the cake and use a brush to distribute.
- Add about 1/3 of the cream cheese frosting and place the sliced cherries on top and push into the frosting. Add another layer of cake and continue.
- After you add the remaining frosting to the top, melt the chocolate and cream together in a microwave safe bowl for 30 second increments until melted. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then add on top of the cake and allow to drip on the sides.
- Add fresh cherries to the top and enjoy!
*Cake Goop is 1 cup of flour, vegetable oil, and vegetable shortening. Combine all the ingredients together in a mixer until smooth. Place about a quarter size amount in the cake pans and brush in with a pastry brush or a paper towel. Keep the remaining in an airtight container and keep it handy for the next time you make a cake!