This Homemade Black Forest Cake Recipe is so moist and delicious you won't be able to put the fork down! I pair my amazing chocolate cake with delicious cherries, and a little kick to make the perfect black forest cake that will impress at your next event! Take your amateur baking to the next level with this show stopping cake!
I wanted to keep this cake nice and simple. I love the simple things in life, don't you? Even though it is decorated fairly simple, it is still stunning and the cherries just POP! I love the way that this turned out and I hope you will too!
ADDING A LITTLE "KICK"!
Like I mentioned above, I added a special ingredient to add that little extra something. I let the cherries soak in some cherry flavored vodka to give them a little bite. If you do not want to do this, that is perfectly fine! Just leave the alcohol out, but it adds amazing flavor!
Pro Tip: When you are assembling your cake, use the left over juice from the cherries and place 1-2 tbsp on top of the cake. It will help keep the cake moist longer, AND it adds that amazing flavor! (You can do this whether or not you use the alcohol.)
THE SECRET TO THE BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE!
I'm going to let you all in on a little secret I learned not too long ago. The secret to the most AMAZING chocolate cake is....water. I know right, but not just any water, boiling water. If you add in the boiling water as the very last ingredient and mix on high speed for 2-3 minutes to allow air bubbles to get trapped inside it will make for a fantastic cake!
Another tip I have developed over the years of baking is what I like to call "cake goop." I know professional and creative right? No matter what you call it, it is the most amazing stuff EVER! Every time I have used it my cakes come out of the pan perfectly every time!
All you need is: 1 cup vegetable shortening, 1 cup vegetable oil, and 1 cup flour. Mix all of them together until a paste forms and store in an airtight container until you need it again! I use about a quarter size amount and rub it onto the pan with a paper towel or pastry brush, then add in your cake batter. Easy peasy!
Below is a printable recipe for you!Print
This homemade black forest cake recipe is so moist and delicious you won’t be able to put the fork down! I pair my amazing chocolate cake with delicious cherries, and a little kick to make the perfect black forest cake that will impress at your next event!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 stick of softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- roughly 20 cherries (pitted)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cherry vodka or similar liquor.
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the cherries by combining the liquor, sugar, and cherries into a small sauce pan and heat until boiling. Let simmer for about 10 minutes and then remove from heat. Let the cherries cool before adding to the cake.
- Combine all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix with a whisk to break up any lumps.
- Add in all wet ingredients except the hot water and mix well until combined.
- Add in the hot water slowly and mix in. The batter will look a little runny.
- Prepare 2 8” cake pans with *cake goop or nonstick spray and distribute the batter evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 10-15 minutes in the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix for about 5 minutes to make sure there are no lumps remaining. Add in vanilla.
- Mix in the powdered sugar one cup at a time and combine after each addition.
- After all ingredients are incorporated, mix for another 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
Assemble the Cake:
- Place one layer of cake on a cake board or plate. Place 1-2 tbsp of syrup on the cake and use a brush to distribute.
- Add about 1/3 of the cream cheese frosting and place the sliced cherries on top and push into the frosting. Add another layer of cake and continue.
- After you add the remaining frosting to the top, melt the chocolate and cream together in a microwave safe bowl for 30 second increments until melted. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then add on top of the cake and allow to drip on the sides.
- Add fresh cherries to the top and enjoy!
*Cake Goop is 1 cup of flour, vegetable oil, and vegetable shortening. Combine all the ingredients together in a mixer until smooth. Place about a quarter size amount in the cake pans and brush in with a pastry brush or a paper towel. Keep the remaining in an airtight container and keep it handy for the next time you make a cake!