This homemade funfetti cake recipe is so fun and yummy! Super moist and fluffy white cake mixed with the fun colors of sprinkles and you have the ultimate birthday cake!
Funfetti cake is so nostalgic for me. When I was a kid I would always beg my mom for funfetti birthday cakes! I just love the colors, and even now at 24 years old I still love it! If you can tell by my site, I love bright and exciting colors! Adding a few jimmies to my classic vanilla cake takes it to the next level! Feel free to get creative with the decorations. I wanted to add even more color and excitement by pairing a basic white buttercream against the colorful sprinkles. I also added a nice pop of pink with some candy melts.
THE SECRET TO A PERFECT FUNFETTI CAKE
I have tried multiple types of sprinkles in all kinds of different cakes, and non of them turn out as well as the jimmie sprinkles! They don’t completely melt, leaving the dotted look inside instead of the colors running everywhere! If you use any other sprinkle, that is fine, just know that you will get a different outcome. I will post my favorite sprinkles to use below.
Super Cake Goop
I know what you’re thinking, what the h*** is cake goop. Well it is only the savior of my baking career. Don’t you hate it when you spend all kinds of time and money into a cake, get the batter just perfect, pop it in the oven and it comes out great, only for it to STICK TO THE PAN!!! I just want to throw it out the window! I know I am not the only one. If you use this recipe, I promise that your cake will come out clean every time!Print
For the cake:
- 2 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup jimmie sprinkles
For the frosting:
- 3 sticks softened butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Combine all dry ingredients (minus sugar) into a small bowl and set aside. Combine the milk and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Slowly add in the sugar until fully combined and fluffy.
- Add in the egg whites one at a time, making sure to combine each before adding the other.
- Add in about ½ of the dry mixture while mixing on a low speed. Alternate adding in dry and wet ingredients until they are all combined. Mix for an additional 3 minutes on a medium speed. Add in the sprinkles last and mix just until combined.
- Prepare 3 6″ cake pans with nonstick spray and distribute the batter evenly between them.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Cream together the butter until light and fluffy and there are no lumps. Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time while on a low speed.
- Add in the vanilla and heavy cream and mix until light and fluffy. About 3-4 minutes.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer of cake on a cake board or plate and top with about 1/2 cup of buttercream and smooth out evenly. Add the next layer and continue with each layer of cake. Completely cover the outside of the cake with the remaining buttercream and smooth with a bench scrapper or spatula. Personalize by adding toppings of your choosing!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Did you enjoy this recipe??? Check out some of my other top cake recipes!