The best recipes are those that are from-scratch and made with love! This is The Best German Chocolate Cake Recipe, and is by far a favorite! It is sweet, rich, and the coconut pecan filling is to die for!
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 3/4 cup Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Boiling Water
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM
- 1 1/2 cups Butter (3 sticks) I use salted, but you can use unsalted and add about 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
COCONUT PECAN FILLING
- 1 cup Evaporated Milk
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Chopped Pecans
- 1 cup Shredded Coconut
- Prepare the coconut pecan filling first, as it needs to cool down before you spread it. Add the evaporated milk and cornstarch in a sauce pan. Stir to combine.
- Add all other ingredients, except coconut and pecans and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients and set aside to cool. It will thicken!
- Next, make your cake! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Add all of the dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment. Whisk together for about a minute.
- Add in all wet ingredients EXCEPT the water. Stir to combine.
- Finally, add in your boiling water, and start slow, and slowly increase the speed to high. Whisk on high for about 1-2 minutes. It should be bubbly!
- Prepare three 6″ or two 8″ baking pans (see cake goop recipe above). Then divide the batter equally into each pan.
- Bake in the middle of the oven, in the middle of the rack for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While your cakes are cooling, make your buttercream. Add your room temp butter to a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Mix for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in your powdered sugar one cup at a time. It will look dry.
- Add in cocoa powder.
- Add in vanilla and cream. Mix for about 4-5 minutes, scraping the sides every so often. If you feel that the buttercream is too thick, add in a little more cream, a tablespoon at a time!
- To prepare the cake, level each layer. Place one layer down, and top with buttercream and filling, add another layer of cake, and continue until you are out of cake. Cover the whole cake with buttercream, and add the coconut pecan filling to the top!! Add a pretty border if you wish!
- You can also cover the whole cake in the filling. To do this, double the batch above, and just cover the whole cake!